Freshers' week wrapped up with a "Bop" on Saturday night, and, to be honest, things really have not calmed down yet. But the chaos has quickly become academic as opposed to purely social, which is just fine with me!
Anyway, I should explain about the bop. Essentially, a bop is a school dance. It took place in the Junior Common Room (JCR), which is kind of like the hang-out spot at Mansfield, where people go when they have a break between lectures to relax. There are also various events held in the JCR, such as pub quizzes, movie nights, ect. I've taken a few photos of what the JCR normally looks like and posted them below.
For the bop, however, all of the furniture and gaming devices were removed. A bar was set up in the back left corner, and there was a d.j. stand and lots of crazy lights. The thing that makes a bop different from normal school dances in America (aside from the fact that there is alcohol being sold to everyone) is that they are THEMED. And everyone participates. Not only do they participate, the go ALL OUT. The theme for the bop on Saturday was "London Underground," which meant that everyone dressed up like a station on the London underground. Of course, this was lost on me, considering that I've never been on the underground, and I only spent 20 minutes in the airport bus station in London. But even though I didn't understand anyone's costume, they were still hilarious. I'm talking, entire outfits crafted out of cardboard, masks, face paint, the works. One guy somehow created an outfit using only fake currency notes, literally nothing else on his body. It was crazy. I, not understanding the concept of a bop yet, did not dress up... but stay tuned for awesome costume photos from next time (I'll be prepared)!
Earlier in the week, there was a club night with the theme of "school uniforms." And I did dress up for that one! I bought a tie and silly knee high socks for 2 pounds total (about $3) at Primark, a super cheap clothing store in Oxford, and added them to clothes I already own. Carl and the other people on my floor dressed up too. I had never been to a club before, and I'm not big on dancing, so I thought I was not going to really like it. But it ended up being a lot of fun. Everyone was nice, and the dancing was just funny, not at all creepy. I doubt I'll start going to clubs all of the time, but it was a fun way to meet some more students my first week.
I woke up early on Sunday morning and spent most of Sunday and Monday writing an essay on King Lear, Macbeth, and Shakespearean Tragedy for my first tutorial, which took place on Tuesday. Shakespeare is my minor tutorial, which means that it only meets every other week, for a total of four meetings this term. Every other Tuesday at 12 noon, I meet one-on-one with my tutor for an hour. I read aloud the 2,000-3,000 word essay that I have written for our session. She critiques my essay, and we discuss further implications of my argument and other aspects of the plays. I think my first tutorial went pretty well! Although it was intimidating to read out my entire essay, in terms of our discussion, I think that my tutors at Jewell have been a lot more demanding (in a good way of course). She had critical things to say about my essay, which was helpful, and gave me some challenges for next time. After my first tutorial, my impression is that my tutors at Jewell have prepared me well for this experience, and I'm much more excited than nervous for my future tutorials.
To back-track just a little, I woke up feeling awful Monday morning. I've officially caught "freshers' flu," which a lot of new students, and most of the visiting students seem to be battling to a greater or lesser degree. I didn't leave my dorm once Monday. Partially because I was writing my essay all day, but mainly because I felt disgusting. Patrick picked up some cold and flu medicine and brought it by for me (which only cost 1 pound!), and my new friend Michael brought soup and bread for me and Carl (who has also been quite sick). If I can't be at home when I'm sick, the next best thing is to have caring friends around!
Even though I was still a bit sick Tuesday, I ventured out of my room. Of course, I had to for tutorial, but I also went to a lecture. Oh my. Lectures. Where to start.... There are TONS, and they all sound incredible! As an Oxford student, I am able to go to any of the lectures that I want, and so far it's been really difficult to choose. The English department alone puts on at least 15 different lectures every day of the week. They cover different literary genres, specific authors, critical approaches, everything! Here's the list of the English lectures just for this term:
Incredible, right? I've been to three lectures now. The first was a lecture that is required for all English freshers (first years), and there were at least 300 people. The second was a lecture on William Faulker (Dr. Walters would be proud), and there were only about 15 of us, and the lecturer left time for discussion at the end, and the third was a lecture on contemporary literature, discussing the broad shift that occurred at the beginning of the 20th century in literary works. There were probably 40 for 50 people attending that lecture, and it was phenomenal. All of them were great actually, but I think that the third was my favorite. I've already chosen two lectures for tomorrow: one on Shakespeare (won't that be handy!), and another called "playbook, paratext, and performance."
Two more exciting things:
1.) Patrick and I have now purchased academic gowns that everyone has to wear for formal events at the university.
They look normal enough from the front: black, mid-length, go over your clothes. From the back, however, they have these bizarre lengths of fabric that seem to serve no apparent purpose. Although, I have heard that they look like wings when you ride a bike with the gown on! Which brings me to exciting Oxford thing #2...
2.) I have a bike! Rather than purchasing it from the super expensive bike shops on my road (there are three of them), I bought it from a refurbished bike store. Well, it's kind of a store. It's a mobile bike shop, which seem to be really popular in Oxford. They bring the bikes to you! Here's the website if anyone is interested:
The guy who sold me my bike was really nice and helpful. I called him, explained that I was looking for a bike, and that it was really important to me that it have a basket. He only had one bike that was ready to sell at the time, but he found a basket and attached it and brought it to me 4 hours later! I think it's actually a men's bike, and it's just a bit too tall for me, but I can still ride it well, and he told me that, at any point, I can exchange it for any of his other bicycles of the same or lesser price. I think, however, that I am going to become quite attached to it and not want to switch though. I haven't taken any photos of it yet, but here's the photo that the bike guy sent me. Just imagine it with a lovely basket on the front!
There's also a three-month warranty on the bike, and he guarantees to buy it back for half-price whenever I'm done with it. The best part though, it that it only cost 70 pounds for the bike and a lock. The cheapest bikes at the stores on my street are 120 pounds without baskets or locks. I had to get lights for it today, but now I'm ready to ride to my first lecture tomorrow! Hopefully I'll be able to manage the whole left-side-of-the-road thing.

I was just never academic enough to ever imagine going to extra lectures, just because they were interesting and pertained to my major. Your brain and what you choose to do with it is so marvelous Paige! :)
ReplyDeleteYou look adorable in both your school uni and your academic gown. I wonder what occasion will call for your gown first? Seems odd to me to wear it to something other than a graduation.
Sorry you were sick but happy you are feeling better now. Hoorah for your good pals! You know what? If you send me your address, I'll send you all a fun care package for Halloween since they don't have it over there. :)
As for the bike, YAY!!!!! I love to ride! Glad you purchased a light. Might I also recommend reflective tape on your helmet, basket and book bag or back pack? Safety first little one, safety first.
Ta ta for now! Cheerio, pip pip and all that!